The Wright - Dunbar Visitor Center
CLOSURE OF INDOOR FACILITIES
Update of December 3, 2020
Site #’s 1a, 1b, and 1c:
The Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center and Aviation Trail Visitor Center, Aviation Trail Parachute Museum and the Wright Cycle Company have suspended the phased in opening policy that had been in place since June.
• As of December 3, 2020, due to the continuing increases in positive cases of COVID-19 in Montgomery County and the recent designation of the county as "purple", all indoor facilities are closed. Outdoor spaces will continue to be open and the park has developed new interpretive content that visitors can access using QR codes. Staff will be available to answer phones, etc. and and a ranger will be driving daily between the Hill and Paul Laurence Dunbar House to make an inspection to insure everything is okay at those sites, but visitors will not be allowed inside visitor center facilities.
• For details and the latest updates see the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DaytonAviationNPS/
The park phone number is (937) 225-7705.
For other sites on the Aviation Trail, see the posting on the "Aviation Blog" page on this website for their status. Status is subject to change on a day-to-day basis.
16 South Williams Street
Dayton, OH 45402
PLEASE NOTE: The hours listed below are the normal hours for summer and winter, but during the current COVID-19 precautions, these are not applicable.
See above for current status.
Dayton's National Park Summer Hours:
Hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
*Open every day -- Sunday through Saturday
Summer Hours - from March through October
2020 Summer Hours begin on Sunday, March 1, 2020
Dayton's National Park Winter Hours:
CLOSED on Mondays and Tuesdays
Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Wednesday through Sunday
Winter Hours for 2020-2021 will begin in Nov. of 2020 and continue through February of 2021
Closed on the following holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
For details and seasonal date schedules see https://www.nps.gov/daav/planyourvisit/hours.htm
or please call (937) 225-7705 for the current park schedule.
*The park schedule changes due to inclement weather and seasonal hours during the fall/ winter months.
The above hours apply to both Wright Dunbar Interpretive Center
and Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center.
Travel Note - Third St. Bridge closure:
The Third Street Bridge will be CLOSED beginning Jan. 1, 2020 until approximately Oct. 2021. Visitors can use the Fifth St. Bridge or the Salem Ave. Bridge as detours from downtown Dayton. Follow detour signs, or see info in the footer below.
CURRENT PARK STATUS
Dayton's National Park :
INDOOR FACILITIES CURRENTLY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC:
Subject to change - for updates see the NPS facebook page at:
The following will remain closed at this time:
• The Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center and Aviation Trail Visitor Center
• The Aviation Trail Parachute Museum
• The Wright Bicycle Shop
• The Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center
• The Paul Laurence Dunbar House Historic Site
• Park theater and conference room spaces.
• America’s National Parks bookstore and gift shop - SEE BELOW for alternative shopping opportunity.
TO SHOP in the meantime:
• As mentioned above, the National Parks bookstore and gift shop located in the Visitor Center is CLOSED until further notice. For an alternative to shop for items related to Dayton aviation history check out the various gift shops at the individual trail sites (see links to their websites on the Trail Sites page).
• For a large online collection of many Wright Brothers items and other aviation gifts & souvenirs (and more) see the Dayton History website store:
Or go to their physical gift shop at Carillon Historical Park, site #4 on the Aviation Trail, at 1000 Carillon Historical Park, Dayton, OH 45409, (937) 293-2841, just 2.9 miles and seven minutes from the Wright-Dunbar Visitor Center.
* During inclement weather, Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park follows the opening/closure decisions of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. For up to date operating status information during inclement weather, visit the WPAFB Operating Status page. This information is updated daily. You can also call (937) 225-7705 for more information.